Friday, August 24, 2012

On the positive side...

Peter had his 4-month well-baby visit, and he's right on target for everything....except things like "turns to parent's voice" or "is calmed by parent's voice". Those things don't happen. My beautiful 85%ile boy is growing well, but as far as I can tell, has little or no awareness of sound, or it has no meaning if he does hear anything. We continue to wear the hearing aids, though they are falling out easily now, as we need new ear molds (next week). But it is a good sign that he's growing :). I was also thankful my son could sleep peacefully through the yelling (at the dogs) and the shop vac that was used when I came home after the doctor visit to find the garbage can full of poopy diapers knocked over and remnants of diapers ALL OVER the kitchen, the playroom, and the carpet I had JUST SHAMPOOED! Last thing, I was so happy and proud when PJ (I alternate signing Peter's initials and a sign for his name) rolled over front to back this morning, three times in a row :). Right on time ;)

2 comments:

  1. Yay Peter! I know how discouraging it is when you're trying to figure out if your child is aware of different sounds especially once they get their hearing aids. We've been there. I got to the point where I was trying to make as much noise as possible - running the vacuum practically right beside his ears, banging pots and pans, etc.just to see what response - if any - I could get from him. The only thing I accomplished was giving my husband and myself a headache. However, I can tell you that the older Peter gets he will become more aware of sound. I had all of the audiologists and our AV therapist tell me this and didn't quite believe it, but Butters, now at 6 months, will turn his head towards a few different sounds. Major improvement from when he was three and four months and rarely acknowledged any sound. Also, like the audiologists and AV therapists will often tell you, their "hearing age" will also be different - even though babies will receive their aids as early as three months, their "hearing age" will sometimes be a month or two behind since they are just becoming accustomed to sound - almost as if they are being "reborn." I hated thinking that Butters was behind in anything, and really, in the hearing dept. he still is, but it helps to see your child making progress. And It really helps once they start AV therapy because your therapist can pick up on milestones before you can sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I keep waiting, and I know it might take a while. I have to take long view when fiddling with the hearing aids, dealing with the sympathetic (or pittying

      Delete