Tuesday, August 14, 2012

CI- what should I push for?

My husband and I completely agree that bilateral Cochlear Implants would give Peter the best route to spoken language. What we haven't figured out is how to get there. I am hoping Peter has two ears as soon as possible, but I have to wrap my head around having two shorter surgeries, or one longer. General anesthesia, intubation, catheterization, IV, hospital stay, risk of infection due to hospital stay, recovery time. All those things would be easier to deal with as one time events, especially if the alternative would be to do the two surgeries just three, four or five months apart. I don't want to wait too long between them, since the second activation seems rougher than the first when it comes to sequential surgeries, but plenty of people do it that way. Even though it seems like a long time before Peter is ready for surgery, there are a lot of kids implanted at the 9-10 month mark, and if the other hospital does the implants earlier than 12 months of age, then all the imaging and everything else would be moved up, too. Can I even imagine my little guy going into surgery in six months? But every day he can't hear gives him more to catch up on...I have some feelers out to learn about the other hospital's program. I like and trust Peter's ENT, but I feel like I need to do due diligence when it comes to choosing the doctor who operates on my baby! Even if we end up with our current ENT, I will feel better having looked at alternatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment