Saturday, April 27, 2013

Things to Remember for Next Time

We are now 5 days post-op, and Peter is pretty much back to normal!  He had one dose of infant Tylenol yesterday, and he hasn't been acting uncomfortable otherwise. I am still being super careful about the surgery site, just to make sure I don't snag the tape when he is nursing, or that he hits his head with anything.

I wanted to jot a few thoughts down about the surgery, so I remember for next time.

First, I now know where to check in! I didn't that morning, and there was no appointment reminder in my email, or appointment listed for Peter on the Kaiser website.  I need to ask the ENT why, as it kinda made me panic (just a tiny bit) when I didn't have any kind of written confirmation of his surgery date/place.

Peter was apparently smiling and flirting until he was asleep. The Dr.  commented on what a happy boy he was.  Waking up was another story. The surgeon said he was STRONG and flipping around trying to get out of the crib. He only calmed down when the anesthesiologist held him, which she did happily. That is he I found him- all google-eyed from the drugs, seeing two (probably) of  the anesthesiologist, waiting for me to take him.

I was able to nurse Peter right away in recovery. He fell back asleep, but was much happier. Negotiating the IV and the other cables attached to Peter was a bit of a pain, and more so at night, but it was ok. I did sit all they way up to nurse Peter when the incision faced me, just so he would not be lying on that side to nurse.

Sleeping with my boy that night was fine- though I did have to sign a form that if he fell out of bed it was my fault. The hospital staff was happy to swap out the hospital crib for a regular hospital bed, and bring extra pillows for me. Peter slept really well, but I didn't because of all the status checks through the night. Next time I really need to make sure I am starting the ordeal well-rested!

I need to take more food for myself! Once we were in the hospital room they didn't offer anything for me! They did say they had stuff for Peter if he was up for it (he wasn't), but if Chris hadn't brought me dinner I would have been mighty hungry. They were good about holding/watching Peter if I needed to leave the room, so I suppose I could have gone to the cafeteria had I wanted to leave my boy for more than a minute ;)

Clothes- I had read on another blog about taking button/zip front clothes that wouldn't need to go over Peter's head. Great idea, and I am glad I did. Just made it a lot easier once we did get him dressed. The night was spent wearing his little hospital gown, because it was easier since he still had the IV and everything.

Overall, leaving the hospital, carrying Peter, the diaper bag, and my bag, felt like a huge relief, and also a little anticlimactic.  There was no wheelchair required, and it felt like we were just leaving a regular   Dr. visit (other than the purple turban). Why was I worried before the surgery? Why couldn't I sleep? It had all been fine- no complications, no bruising, best possible surgical outcome. I guess the worrying is just part of being a mom. I hope next time I can turn it down just a bit, though!


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad it went smoothly! I've been thinking of you guys!

    ReplyDelete