Friday, January 4, 2013

What a day!

Yesterday was bittersweet. I wrapped up the procedure of resigning as treasurer of my younger daughter's preschool, and withdrawing her, closing that chapter of my life. But I was also able to schedule Peter's Genetic consultation, and his MRI and CTscans!  And I think Peter signed FIRE!

I know the next six months of my life will be hectic enough with Peter, and I decided I really didn't need the added stress that the co-op was bringing to my life.  And to start those six months of hectic...some of the things to do for CI candidacy evaluation.

First we will be getting our Genetics consult. This is not required for CI candidacy, but if they do identify something like a Connexin 26 or 30 deletion (which indicates ONLY cochlear issues, and no other health problems) then the doctors have a really good idea of what they will be dealing with inside the ear.  Genetics can also help identify or rule out many syndromes associated with hearing loss, so we can either breathe a sigh of relief, or get a heads up for future things to watch for. If there is a genetic recessive cause for Peter's hearing loss, his sisters might be carriers of the gene. This won't matter to them, but when they are older and ready to have their own kids they might want to be tested.  The Consult is next week, and if they determine Peter needs the tests, they can order the blood draw to be done while Peter is sedated for the scans.  I am glad they are able to coordinate everything so easily, and that everyone was so understanding about my desire to avoid a scary needle experience if possible.

Later this month we will get both an MRI and a CT scan. They do them one after the other, and Peter will be sedated for them so he will be still. Sedation is scary to me. But I even worry about the fasting before sedation! Hungry babies are no fun!  The first scan will be at 1:15, and we have to be at the hospital by 12:15. Peter can't eat solid food after 5:15 AM, but can nurse until 9:15 AM. Then he can have a little bit of water, Pedialyte, or apple juice until 11 (that will be interesting, as he had never had Pedialyte or apple juice).  I am sure it will be fine, but moms worry, right?

And to wrap this up on a bright note, Peter is obsessed with our fireplaces, and has started reaching towards them, but with his palm facing him, which is the ASL sign for FIRE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment