Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Imaging (part 1)

Today Peter is getting his MRI and CT scans. I just left him at the threshold to the MRI room. The MRI is going to take about an hour and fifteen minutes, then the CT scan an additional 45 or so. I was so worried about the fasting part, but Peter was Ok, and didn't even want to nurse when I gave him his last chance Pre-scan at 9:10. He got to try apple juice for the first time after that, since he could have a little to drink until 11:15. He liked it, but didn't drink very much. We went to the library for toddler playtime, and he was nicely distracted, and didn't complain about being hungry.

He wasn't as happy in the car on the way here. He saw me put the carseats for the girls in my mom's car, and started wailing. He was even whimpering in his sleep when he finally passed out for a late nap. He got to sleep through check in here, but woke up when we weighed him. Strange place, unfamiliar people- but he was OK with most of it until the IV....it took three tries for them to get it :(. Apparently the bigger, healthier, chubbier babies are harder to find the veins on. I was almost crying because he was wailing, and they kept poking him. He was all wrapped up in a blanket so he couldn't wiggle away, so with the blanket and the screaming he worked himself into a sweat. I couldn't look at the needle, or I might have passed out or thrown up. All  I could do was look at his sad, tear-streaked, screaming face and apologize. Luckily the sedative was really fast acting, and he was almost asleep as I handed him to the Doctor at the entrance to the MRI room.

Watching them put oxygen tubes at his nose, and tape monitors to him, and scoot him into a head positioning device almost made me cry, too. But I had to remind myself that this most likely will be the only MRI Peter will have in his life, and that he will be OK.

I have a while to wait now. I am hungry, but they want my cell phone number if I leave the waiting room, and I think I lost my phone.  I guess I can go without eating for a while, too.  I forgot to ask about the blood draw for Genetics.

2:55- I got to go back to the recovery area! He is still snoozing, though. They didn't do a blood draw, so I guess we will wait on that.

2 comments:

  1. That really was traumatic for you both and I hate that they had to give the IV. He did look very sweet while he was snoozing, however! Keep reminding yourself that he won't remember this. It is more traumatic for us as moms, I think. Hope they get the results to you quickly and not make you wait a month like they did to us :( Talk about pure torture with the waiting game. You are one step closer to having all of this behind you. Look how far you have come already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter was actually ridiculously happy that night, and is none the worse for wear. I got a cold Thursday- I think the stress lowered my immunity, but we are all good now!

    ReplyDelete