Friday, October 4, 2013

Rhyme and rhythm in ASL

Peter and I went to the CSD ASL workshop/ Playgroup today, and it was a blast.  I loved learning about some of the rules to ASL poetry and how ASL nursery rhymes can be constructed. I am starting to recognize more and more signs, but I was also reminded of how much I need to practice my receptive finger spelling!
The ASL workshop was taught by a new teacher at CSD, who was recruited from Massachusetts. She signs a lot of music videos, and her talk on bringing rhythm, repetion and physical rhyme into ASL for young kids was really nicely done. She quoted a statistic that hearing kids who had 8 nursery rhymes memorized by age four were much more likely to become skilled readers. The foundation of rhythm and auditory memory helps with literacy. ASL rhymes can help the same way for kids who can't hear. They build up the memory pathways and strengthen the language foundation.
How is a rhyme made in ASL? I am sure I didn't grasp everything, but there are different ways to express it- using the same hand shape in different ways (like the clawed hand for bear ears, chubby cheeks, and a chubby belly) or choosing words that use the same handshap and repeating them (like the open palm used for SCHOOL, HERE, HELLO, C'MON that was woven into a welcome back to school poem).
The talk was getting really interesting when Peter decided he was done sitting still and wanted to go play- and that I had to come, too. I hope they post the video on YouTube!

No comments:

Post a Comment