Friday, October 25, 2013

I want to be Swizerland...and a video

I like that Swizerland is neutral. I also like that they are tri-lingual and ready to defend themselves if necessary ;)

Having a deaf child means you get free entry into a world where so many of a parent's choices are judged by those who would not make the same choice. Technology, communication, and education are all hot button topics to some people in each "camp". I am incredibly lucky that I live in a region with so many resources. If I lived in the middle of nowhere I wouldn't have choices- there aren't a lot of Deaf Schools, so signing wouldn't be as viable, Oral Schools aren't everywhere, and certified AVT therapists aren't everywhere, so if I lived somewhere else I might be stuck with whatever the state gave me and be glad for it. But I am here. I am availing myself of everything I can, and usually I am happy I can do that.

But when I feel like there might be pressure to just use one approach I feel myself getting defensive. I would defend my choices if anyone at the school for the deaf railed on me for implanting my boy- but no one has, thankfully!  I know I need to respect the parents there (hearing and deaf) who have their own reasons not to amplify or implant their kids and who have just embraced signing. Likewise, parents may never sign, and throw themselves whole heartedly into an Oral or Aditory Verbal approach. If that works for their family I think that is awesome!  I have read many blogs where CI kids thrived with those approaches. But I am doing things in a way that feels right for me.

I love languages, and the more the merrier. If I can give Peter access to multiple languages, I will. Kids in Swizerland don't have problems learning at least two, and often three or four languages.  My friends who have multiple languages at home have kids who maybe started talking a month or two later than my kids, but they now read and speak in two languages at age 7.  I know Peter is a smart cookie- he is now catching up to about where 9-month old hearing kids are, according to a couple evaluation scales. Since he's 18 months old, that may not seem awesome, but he has made those 9 months of progress in Under six months, and less than two of those months with two ears on. If what we are doing is working so far, I don't see a reason to change. Of course if I feel there are issues I will make adjustments, but right now I am still figuring out what proportions of what ingredients are the best for us, and everything is staying in the mix.

Our mix is working well:

1 comment:

  1. Amen! I wish more people could support their own choices, without bashing the other (like you did here).

    ReplyDelete