Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Stuck in First Ear

I haven't had enough positive stuff to write about lately, but I decided I ought to make a note of what is going on for posterity's sake ;)

My frustrations:

1)  my Early Start situation - we are being transferred from one county to another, and I don't know exactly what the new county offers.

2) Oral Deaf School for next year- I still don't know what days they are recommending for Peter.

3) Preschool for Samantha- some of it depends on what days Peter goes to school. I feel like it is really late to be starting the enrollment process.

4) Getting my older daughter re-enrolled at the local school. Not really a big deal or stumbling block, but it needs to be done!

5) Surgery date for Peter is still not set

6) Vacations are not taken or planned, or even positively decided upon until the surgery date is on the calendar.

So, I am trying to get the ball rolling. I made some phone calls, left messages about 1-5, played some phone tag, and now I have a little bit of progress.

1) I spoke to M., the director of early start in the new county. She followed up with an email and a promise that one of the actual service providers would call by end of day Wednesday. So I still don't know anything, but I have some names and phone numbers. The goal is to have Peter completely enrolled and familiar with the services they offer before end of summer session 7/26, and to have home visits and all that start from the first day of the new school year (aug 26 or so).

2) I have a visit planned for Thursday or Friday at the Oral Deaf School. Even getting a visit is frustrating! Can't schedule anything with just one phone call it seems. But then by Friday I should know which group of kids Peter would fit in with best.

3) I scheduled a visit at a local preschool for tomorrow. Hopefully it is nice!

4) enrollment packet should be in the mail to me- I spoke to the district secretary yesterday. As soon as I get it and fill it out I can drop it back off and be done with it!

5) Left a message for the surgery coordinator yesterday. They promise 48 -hour max response time. No news yet.

6) Depends on number 5...

So, hopefully everything will be morning along nicely by end of week.

Luckily Peter is still doing great! He is experimenting with a lot of "aaaah" and things that sound like "la, na, ha, ba all rolled together ;). I need to video it, since he didn't really make any of those sounds before he got his CI.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ellen,

    Saw your comment on my blog. :) Tried to comment earlier but I guess because I was on my phone it didn't work. Just spent some time reading through some of your blog & getting snippets of your story. Yes, my daughter went to JW from 7 months until she was mainstreamed this schoolyear in a co-op preschool (with support from our district). She heads to kindergarten in August! I totally get your frustrations! Feel free to email me if you need support or back-up re: Early Start, thoughts or experience re: JW or in general! :) susannah (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete