Thursday, March 28, 2013

Teletherapy and Cutting Teeth

Peter is now 11 months old. He cut his second tooth (the top tooth opposite the bottom one he already had) a week and a half ago, so I can say he had two teeth at 10 months. The third tooth- his other front bottom tooth cut on his 11 month birthday. I think that tooth contributed to a couple REALLY hard days for mommy.

We had gotten accepted for a pilot program of teletherapy out of Stanford, and notified on a Friday that they wanted to start the following Tuesday! I managed to rearrange my day, get everything ready for the French class I teach, and ask my mom to take Samantha to dance and bring the girls back to my house just in case I didn't make it back in time to meet the kids arriving for French. Peter was supposed to sleep in the car all the way to Stanford so he would get an hour-plus nap. Of course, he didn't sleep until JUST before we got there and woke up in the waiting room, cranky. That trend continued throughout the meeting :(

We met with a social worker to talk about how we approached Peter's deafness, and she offered to touch base as the surgery date approached, when I might be having more concerns. Then we met with J., Peter's Speech Therapist for the program. She talked to PJ for a while, then we filled out some assessment questionnaires to set the "Starting Point" benchmarks. Peter screamed. Peter cried. Peter threw toys. Peter was calmer when I held him upside down like a bat, but he was definitely tired and unhappy!  I felt bad that the team at Stanford was being screamed at, and I was getting stressed, too.  Finally she gave me my loaner iPad and I sort of ran out of there juggling the carseat, Peter, iPad and stand, and the diaper bag. Hopefully Teletherapy is smoother!

The next day that third tooth came in, and a couple more days and he got his 4th tooth! No wonder he was so cranky!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment