Sunday, March 3, 2013

Nice Surprises

This last week had a few nice surprises for us- a gifted trip to Disneyland was a big one.  My parents were supposed to take my brother and his family, but my dad ended up needing surgery and was still recovering, so I got his tickets. My mom was generous enough to buy the girls tickets, too. Peter was free. Peter also slept through most rides, or was cranky that he could get out and scrabble around, so I'm glad he was free;). He did like the characters, though. I think it was the big eyes. They loved him back, too. I think he got some extra special attention with the hearing aids, but maybe it's just cause he's cute! We also got to practice lots of fun signs (ASL) like BOAT (the big ship Columbia) TRAIN (both the railroad and monorail were hits) and the big draft HORSE that pulls the trolley was a favorite. The Orange County airport was a great place to wait for our flight- we saw HELICOPTER landing, and several small AIRPLANE s practicing taking off and landing. That and all the TRUCKS!

Two days after we got back I got another surprise- the call to schedule Peter's first surgery! I had been grumpy because the surgery schedule wasn't open and wasn't open, and when I called on the 22nd (and the April schedule still wasn't open) I was told it would probably be a May surgery :( And of course the May schedule wouldn't be open until the end of March....But we got a date in April!!! Just two days after Peter's first birthday!!!

I am a planner. I can adjust to anything, as long as I have some time to plan. I felt like a lot of my life was on hold waiting for this surgery date. Why? Not because I am obsessing over Peter's ears, but because I need to get the logistics sorted out- Nana coming out, appointments to move, etc.  now that the date is fixed I can work the other pieces in around that, and go back to enjoying my little guy. His teeth are still making him cranky. He is now cruising and getting bruises as he wobbles over things. But the teeth and the walking will happen when they happen. I don't worry about schedules or planning for that kind of thing, because you can't ;)

A last little surprise this week was seeing a ton of daffodils all over my yard, and in a couple spots in the garden I had forgotten I had planted them. The bunches of happy yellow flowers match my mood now :)



No comments:

Post a Comment