Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Do I deserve to be here?

No, this is not a whine about my lot in life ;). I went to my first Early Start play group the other day. All families with kids under three in the county-wide Early Start program are invited to a bi-monthly play date in a special preschool classroom with some of the Early Start teachers and aids. The director of the program is so welcoming, the teachers and aids are so friendly and helpful, and the other moms are lovely. I really liked everyone there, but I almost felt like I had it too good to be there. Some of the kids have muscle tone issues, one has a feeding tube, one was born with half a heart, some have vision issues, and one has autistic tendencies but no diagnosis. These kids are all just as lovable as Peter, and I am sure their parents love them as much as we love Peter, but I couldn't help feeling like I was so lucky. Peter needs hearing aids, a cochlear implant, and some intense therapy to catch up in the hearing and speech areas, but he should be age-appropriate by first grade, if not sooner. Some of the Early Start kids might never be anywhere near normal. Some kids born with half a heart don't make it to first grade. I felt like maybe I didn't deserve to get all these free services when other people have so much more complicated situations. I felt like my developmentally on-target 85%ile, healthy baby was too normal....I do know that without early intervention Peter could face severe challenges, so logically I do know we need the Early Start services. We will keep attending because I really do like everyone at the playgroup, and I guess it's not such a bad thing to feel like you've got it good.

No comments:

Post a Comment