Thursday, May 9, 2013

All cleared for takeoff!

Our second post-op appointment with the surgeon went well today. She said Peter looked great, and everything was healing perfectly. All the swelling is gone, and the incision is flat and barely noticeable. She just recommended having him wear a hat in the sun so the healing skin doesn't turn darker there. So that's that. All set to be activated next Tuesday.

I did ask if there were things Peter shouldn't do- like pop his ears, or blow his nose forcefully. Should I get him a medic alert bracelet about no MRI (without first removing the magnet)?  She said we should avoid head trauma, but that kinda goes for everyone. She said the bone really grows around these, and that the silicone cases are really very durable. I guess once she had to work on a kid who had an original ceramic case CI- the poor kid had walked into a pole and cracked the CI- but that should not happen to Peter!  She said most places are very careful about CI's and MRI, but she did know of one situation where a kid with a CI almost got an MRI (not at Kaiser, and the MRI didn't happen) so it is really up to us if Peter needs the bracelet. The ear popping, nose blowing? The concern is more about a ruptured eardrum if one does those things too forcefully. If Peter gets an ear infection she did say we needed to be very proactive and aggressive about treating it.  None of my kids have ever had an ear infection, so I hope that trend continues.

Last thing I asked about the right ear surgery.  She said she could put in a request for July- I said any time that month (other than the 4th), and if July gets full with non-elective surgeries, then August is still good. Phew! Somehow scheduling (well, prescheduling) the second surgery doesn't feel nearly as momentous.  Plus, now there is no choice/debate about two or one, so it feels easier.

Tomorrow is a play date at a park near the School for the Deaf. We haven't seen everyone for a while.  The school had a couple evening events (which just don't fit into our schedules) and so didn't have the usual morning meetings, and at least one day the school was closed. I am a bit apprehensive about possible reactions to Peter getting a CI. Not that I will hide it (I personally think it is so amazing I want to talk to everyone about it!), but perhaps I will be extra careful about ensuring the recommended sun hat is worn tomorrow.



1 comment:

  1. I know you all are so excited for activation day! There are so many emotions that run through your brain, but know that everything will turn out great. And yes, you do worry a lot about head bumps and stuff right after the surgery. I still worry about that stuff. I don't think I have heard much about ear infections with CI's from parents in the Yahoo groups but I worry about that too since Butters cannot tell me if his ear hurts. What little I have heard about basically is that if you let the infection go on too long it can affect the CI. I can't wait to hear how Peter does next week!

    ReplyDelete