Friday, May 16, 2014

ASL moments

Today was our last Playgroup at the School for the Deaf for the school year. While we are there Peter watches a lot, but doesn't really engage others in conversations, well, except for MORE CRACKER ;). So I am going out of my way to give him all this ASL input- is he getting anything out of it?

At the end of Playgroup we had time to take part in another research study, this one by ASL BabyLab, which tracked eye movements to judge response to ASL. Two pictures were shown on a tv screen, then a signer in the video asked about one of the items using only sign, and a video camera mounted above the tv tracked where Peter looked. I could also tell where he was looking, as he was sitting my lap.  I am proud to say he pretty much nailed every one! AND he even learned the sign for DOLL, which I didn't know (so didn't use) and he figured it out by process of elimination the first time he saw it, and was quick to identify it the next times he saw it. Peter was a rock star, and got a red t-shirt proclaiming him a Jr. Scientist for his efforts :)

While Peter and I were in the video booth Sam even got into the ASL mood by asking to watch the Signed Stories app (so great BTW) with the spoken narration turned off! I was a bit surprised the ASL BabyLab guy had never seen the app before, but he was quite impressed with Samantha :)

Then it was some errands and home for an attempted nap. The nap never happened, but this cute interaction did. Peter started in ASL, then when I turned on the camera, it was mostly me signing, and Peter talking, though he does use some signs in the video, too:

1 comment:

  1. Oh he is adorable! I love this post and your last one. You are pretty amazing to give him all the opportunities to learn that you are! That ASL test sounds really interesting. Carys also seems to know a TON more signs than she can actually sign herself- she seems to understand everything but is just now starting to get coordinated enough to sign a lot of words.

    ReplyDelete