Monday, November 19, 2012

Would it be like getting teeth?

Peter is teething. I think I even see the teeth, right there below the gum.  Thank goodness he isn't using me as a teether anymore, though!  I think that in the next three weeks while Nana Bev, my Mother-in-Law, is here to visit, Peter will start to crawl AND get his first teeth. Things always seem to happen when more family is around....
Tonight Peter was up on all fours rocking back and forth. He even got one leg to move forward once before he rolled over. We applauded, he grinned, and tried it again. Babies have so many new things that just happen- like teeth, the desire to crawl, the strength to sit up.  It made me wonder if that's how Peter will view hearing. My mom said she thought it would be like," ok, I'm one now, that's how old you are when your ears start working". Just like he must be saying to himself about the six month mark and food and teeth ;)
I saw a man and his adopted daughter at the Monterey Bay Aquarium today. I noticed them because an aquarium employee or volunteer was signing to the girl about the Open Ocean exhibit. Then I noticed the girl had two cochlear implants. I told the man that Peter was a candidate, and he said he thought the young ones did phenomenally.. His daughter was 21/2 when she was adopted- and no one told her adoptive parents she was deaf. Maybe the Chinese orphanage didn't know, but....In any case she was implanted  a year ago at 5 1/2, and still relied heavily on sign.  Her father said she was making progress, but that it was much harder being implanted after 5 (being without language for 2 1/2 years probably doesn't help either). He also said that being silent for so long made the noisy world harder to adjust to, and it seemed like his daughter turned her CIs off if it was too noisy.  We said hi and introduced ourselves in ASL, then I had to run after My three year old!
 I hope that hearing will be a gift, and not a drama. I also hope that Peter can see the silence as a gift, too, and enjoy both worlds. Also, I am tremendously thankful that insurance here covers CIs, and that our insurance has been so easy to deal with so far. In China most poor people can't afford to pay out of pocket for CIs, so often their best hope for a child born deaf is to drop them off at the orphanage, and hope they get adopted by someone who can sign and/or pay for a CI. My heart goes out to the deaf children in Chinese orphanages, and I have so much respect for the several families I know of who have adopted special needs kids abroad. 

1 comment:

  1. It was amazing to see a 14 month old girl with an implant the other day when we were meeting the speech path. I started talking to the mom about it and she said that the babies do really well and the surgery and recovery periods are not so strenuous. That was reassuring. I know you are probably feeling the same as I have been feeling, it's exciting about the impending surgery but it's also terrifying as well! I will also tell you something else that is terrifying, teething! We have five teeth so far and every one of them has been a major battle.

    ReplyDelete